Friday, July 23, 2010

Coincidences – or God's Fingerprints?

In 2005, I discovered that I had a brother, five years older than I – my father's only son. I had always wanted a big brother but never dreamt that it would happen like this. I cried for three days, mourning the loss of the reality I had known, before concluding that I needed to celebrate this new relationship and enfold it into my new reality.

When Richard discovered that he had a sister who writes, he decided to try his hand at it and started whipping off novels, not to publish, just for his own interest. I was amazed! It seemed that there was nothing he could not do.

At the time, I was in the middle of writing my first work of fiction. I suggested that we should exchange our manuscripts and critique each other's writing. Richard agreed and, because we live a three-day's journey apart, we both bundled up our unfinished epistles and took them to the post-office, knowing they would doubtless cross in the mail.

My package had contained 372 pages. When I received Richard's package, I was stunned to unwrap 372 pages.

This might not seem like a miracle in the ordinary sense of the word, but when God is at work in a situation, it seems as though there are far too many "coincidences" to be normal, run of the mill, happenings. I like to call them "God-incidences." We don't always know why they happen but I love to see His fingerprints in my life. :)

No comments: