Monday, July 19, 2010

Miracle of Restoration

With all the uncertainty of this move, I have felt as though my life is totally upside down. I have not been able to focus on my work and, with all my belongings packed in boxes, everything is in disarray.

In the midst of all of this, Jane-Anne invited me to her cottage for a couple of days and I accepted gladly – anything to escape the confusion. The thought of serenity beside a lake was most welcome.

What follows may not seem like a miracle, but the restoration that has taken place since my arrival yesterday is truly remarkable. This morning, I recorded my musings, sitting on the deck:

"Cottage air, finally filling my senses. Morning breeze against my cheek. Boat gunnel guards bobbing against dock wood. Leaves whispering. Waves lapping on wet rocks. Lola paws pattering across the wet deck.

Ruth (Jane-Anne's mom) comes around the corner of the cottage and hangs a wet mat over the railing, a yellow jacket over the towel wrapping her lower body.

Reaching back in my mind, I find days of love, wrapped in the family that gave me life.

The breeze is familiar. The leaves whisper the same secrets of Creation they told at my childhood family cottage - the simple knowledge of the love of God.

I belong where I am  enfolded by nature, cedar droppings under my bare feet.

I can't stay here. This is not my life - not my cottage... but the breeze is mine. The air that gives me breath is mine. The sounds live in my memories.

I am so grateful to find these things that are mine once again. To soak in the sounds, to rest in the breeze."

No comments: