Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Anatomy of a Miracle – Post #13 – 40 days to Move

We're getting down to the wire! Just 40 days until the moving truck arrives!

I just arrived home from a conference and it would seem that I'd better buckle down to the task of finding a new home. 

Frankly, I have zero drive to get out there and scramble around looking. Am I in denial, simply not wanting to leave my cozy nest – or is this lack of motivation to search simply a down-deep knowledge that God has a plan and will reveal it in His perfect time? 

Prosperity preachers tell us to name whatever it is we want and "claim it in the Name of Jesus." Frankly, that theology makes me rather ill because it usually seems to blossom out of a heart of greed. I know God wants to bless His children, but He's not like an indulgent parent who simply can't say no to a whining, selfish child. The world is littered with the fallout from broken dreams founded on a theology of self absorption. 

And so is it wrong for me to ask God to supply a home for me? I need to look at my heart and examine my motivation. Does greed fill the dank corners? Does self- absorption overshadow my awareness of the needs of others? Am I expecting too much of God? Why don't I just get out there and find a place to live the same way everybody else does? Forget about making this a big issue of God's provision and just deal with it.

Sometimes I think I'm an idiot and there are probably those who would agree. 

On the other hand – if God wants to use this as an opportunity to reveal His glory, love and grace once again, how do I dare take matters into my own hands and exclude Him from the process?

No comments: